Future Soldiers

A look at NJROTC's year

Cheyenne Whisenant, Reporter

Do you ever wonder where our soldiers started out? Some go into the military because their family did, some started out in their schools ROTC program.

NJROTC is a class that you can sign up for that meets every day and you can sign up by speaking with your counselor or by stopping by the ROTC office and speaking with any of the instructors.

While we all had our issues with Hurricane Harvey, the ROTC program didn’t stop just because of a little rain.

“Due to the hurricane, we were backtracked nearly an entire month, which upset the process of enrolling new cadets into the system, making the process much longer than it needed to be.” Chandler Bienek explains the greatest challenge for ROTC this year, but somehow they pulled through and had┬ároughly 360 members enrolled in the program.

This year, we have over one million dollars in scholarship winnings for our NJROTC students.

“Seeing all these students win that many scholarships, was my proudest moment,”says Mr. Gilchrist, one of the ROTC sponsors.

“My greatest accomplishment this year would be the amount of scholarship money that was offered to me.” says Bienek.

The ROTC won numerous trophies this year ranging from second overall at a PT meet, all the way to individual medals that a certain cadet (cough, cough Chandler Bienek) may have earned. As far as losses, Bienek and Horsford said there were none, overall the year was great.

With everything that ROTC does, they always make sure that their students are prepared for what they might encounter in basic training for the armed forces.

“My team was the P.T (Physical Training) team where we would do physical fitness competitions and workouts, but even through all that my greatest challenge this year would be joining the Marines. I overcame it by taking self-initiative and self-improvement.” says ROTC student and future Marine, Kleila Horsford.

The student leaders this year that ran the whole program were Chandler Bienek, Sierra Trones, and Nicolas Layne.

This year NJROTC had its ups and downs and it seems to us that they overcame all of their challenges and we are so proud of our future soldier and can’t wait to see where they go in their respective branches of the armed forces.