The Last Day

Xavier Jenkins, Commentary

4/18/2009 A date I’ll always remember, no it’s not a anniversary or a birthday its a day my life changed in a way I would never imagine, I lost everything that day including myself. Till this day I still don’t know how that last day affected me and I don’t know if I ever will.

It was a frosty rainy day just like any other unpredictable Texas day, me a eight year old had just woke up from an amazing nap. I walked into the living room of my grandpa’s house to hear him on the phone sounding super serious about something. Before I could figure out what it was he told me to go back into the room. A few minutes later he comes in and tells me to get dressed and come to the truck. Then we set off to a site that I would soon never want to return to. Cops, tow trucks, news reports, and random people everywhere I was so confused. My grandpa got out and told me to stay in the truck until he got back.

(light laugh) Is it sad that’s where the story ends? That’s all I remember everything else are just fragments pieces of memories I can’t even put together.

Normal thing like crying after a heartbreak or being really mad don’t come so easily to me. To be honest I just started crying over emotional pain last year and it didn’t even pertain to my sister death. Some might say that’s kinda weird but that’s just who I am. 

So let me tell you what I know on 4/18/2009 I lost my five year old sister, two year old sisters, five year old brother, eight and nine year old cousins. My father is in prison and me and my mom are all we have left. Yet I still keep my head up I smile and laugh and joke even through the toughest moments. That’s who I am that’s who I’m made to be.