The Don’ts Of K-pop

Being a kpop fan comes with a lot. Here's a little bit of education

Alea Allen, Commentator

So there are some people who like k-pop. It may be a family member, a friend, or probably yourself. For a k-pop fan, there are some things that you should say, and there are things that you shouldn’t. These are the don’ts of k-pop.

If someone shows you something related to k-pop, trying to get you involved in something they like, do not say, “They all look the same.”, “Why are there so many of them?”, or “The boys look like girls.” Just don’t say that.

But don’t ever EVER go up to a k-pop fan and ask, “You listen to that ‘Ching-Chong’ music?” yeah, people actually call it that. They will either look at you with a crazy but, but an angry expression, thinking of what they would say to go off on you, or actually go off on you, I swear. And don’t go up to them with a random word or sentence written in Japanese or something asking, “Do you understand this?” Please don’t do that.

All this stuff is coming from a k-pop fan that had a personal experience with this, but if you do get into k-pop, you have been warned. You will probably get addicted to it. Staying up till 3 am watching a live stream of either a concert or your favorite idol, having your usernames on social media have something involved with k-pop like BTS lover12345 and adding numbers because other people already have that username, spending all your money on k-pop merchandise, posters, albums and having cobwebs and flies coming out of your wallet.

But overall, it is really fun to listen to k-pop and expand your horizons on what you listen to, especially when you find someone who shares the same obsession. So you both can sing and dance to the music and talk about your favorite members of each group you like. And k-pop isn’t really a faze, more of a lifestyle. Once you discover someone, you will discover more. But it’s a great lifestyle to be in.

But to fans out there, always be your true self, don’t try to impress other fans just because they listened to it longer than you or something. Always support your favorite groups or person and don’t hate or bash on the ones you don’t like because other people may like it. From a fellow k-pop fan, Alea Allen.