High School Experience

Nhi Huynh, Commentator

When I didn’t come to America yet, I always dreamt of living in America. I watched Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide and I thought schools in America would be like that.

But life is life, and it’s different from movies. Making new friends here is so difficult for me. Everyone goes to their own class, and you may not have any classes with them. They care about their own stuff. When I thought that I got really close to somebody, they just drifted away. No one ever wants to talk to me, because of my ethnicity, how I look, and even the way I dress. I’m proud of my origin, my “yellow” skin tone, my natural black hair, and my Asian accent.

There were a bunch of kids who kept touching the top of my head when I was walking in the hallway a few months ago. In my culture, it’s really disrespectful when you touch somebody’s head who is about your age. I told them to stop but they were still making fun of me: “Hear what she said? Stop it! Ha ha ha ha”. I never want to mess with anyone, it’s just a waste of time for nothing. They have their friends and other people on their side. I have none. Because I’m different, no one wants to play with me.

I’m from a small country, Texas is 2 times larger than it is. Every time I mention my country, all they think about are war, famine, and fighting. But those were just in the past. Things have changed a lot since then. We have a healthy cuisine that people around the world fall in love with. From one of the poorest country in the world due to the war, we became one of the most dynamic emerging countries in the East Asia region. Please don’t judge people by where they’re from. Every place has its good and bad people, even in America.

I’ve been calling all types of names, and all of them related to my origin, such as “Asian girl”, “Chinese girl”, and so on. First of all, you look Asian doesn’t mean that you’re Chinese. There are 48 countries in Asia, not only just China, and they’re all different. I come from an independent country and it’s not China. Even though I do look like a Chinese doesn’t mean that I’m from that country and speak their language.

I don’t care what other people think about my appearance. It’s just something special. But don’t ever bully me and make fun of me. I don’t say anything because I have my own work to do. It’s not because I don’t understand what you say, it’s because I ignore it.