The little guys will no longer be silent!

Is academics and intelligence overlooked in our society?

Ambroja Ferguson, Reporter

In a world where the typical citizen has to work vigorously to achieve their goals, the populace is “encouraged” to attain high grades, remain strong-minded, and predominantly stay focused towards the career path they’ve chosen. You would think–since the public is prompted to strive beyond their competitors in the field of academics–that a person, or group, involved in a scholastic event would be given the proper acknowledgment they deserve. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case.

On Saturday, March 24th, representatives from the school campus competed in mathematics, science, and journalistic categories; the three teams did a phenomenal job all-inclusively with the mathematics team taking first place as a unit, and journalism taking third place wholly. As fantastic as this all was to the astonished team members, the school gave little-to-none recognition over their success. The best that they were given was a diminutive shout-out on Mrs. Carter’s Twitter page.

The lack of gratitude generally regarded towards the academical field has left an eerie feeling to the individuals who fight vehemently in this area; discouraging a lot of study-driven students to take part in these events.

Sophomore Alicia Thompson, fellow science Olympiad, and AP student expressed her dissatisfaction with how the school deemed their scholastic protegees.

“Honestly, it’s disheartening to see the school being eminently earnest when it comes to sports, then leaving us behind in the shadows. It just isn’t fair,” said Thompson. “Frankly, the schoolhouse doesn’t give enough appreciation to us-the students that actually work hard to get to the level we are at.”

A lot of the students at the campus don’t seem to comprehend why this should matter, or why they should even care if academical achievements get recognition. In actuality, academics are a crucial part of the public education system.

Before the 19th century, public schools were established to teach children the importance of assisting the community, being religiously involved, and the appreciation of family time. It wasn’t until this era that the priority of public school became focused on academics. With the increasing amount of standardized testing over the past decades, many advanced students feel that they should receive the most attention. In contrast to this position, sophomore Victoria Villegas, a top-notch AP student, and fellow member of the swim team has a different perspective.

“While the school does show favoritism towards sports, I understand why they do so. The school promotes sporting events further because of the sponsorships and recollection they receive. Ultimately, these events are more noticeable to social media,” said Villegas. “Although I do realize how these scholastic students are feeling–since the swim team doesn’t get as much attention as football or basketball teams do–we have to value the little we do obtain, like the Olympics and spelling bees, and not get discouraged by these minor predicaments.”

In our society, it isn’t only schools that pay more awareness to non-educational or informative matters. Many internet celebrities like Danielle Bregoli, woahvicky, Jake Paul and Logan Paul gain popularity for doing something discourteous, or shallow, and then proceeding to post it on the internet for the entire world to see. Logan Paul, at the beginning of the year 2018, disrespected an entire nation by acting immaturely on the streets of Japan and then recording a carcass hanging from a tree inside of the suicide forest. Even though he gained a lot of negativity from the incident, he still remained to have a mass following and primary support from his fans (which they called themselves the “Logang”) who defended him and overlooked his mistake.

Many individuals were puzzled as to why he was receiving all this attention. According to sophomore Ann Nguyen, she hypothesized on why this was.

“Subjects on the matter of negativity and inappropriateness tend to get more attention than your average day topics,” said Nguyen. “In a way, getting this sort of attention is good because people become more aware of what is going on in our lives, whether it is important or not, and all together gets the message out.”

Until the community re-evaluates what they deem to be more important, ignorance will still play a part in our society. Whether or not academics will ever outweigh popular phenomena is still an unresolved conundrum.