Effects of Texting and Driving

According to txdot.gov in 2017, there were a total of 537,475 car crashes in Texas. At least 19% of those wrecks was caused by various distractions. Not all accidents were caused by the use of cellphones, some were caused by driver distractions and inattention.

On September 1, 2017 a statewide law was passed making it illegal for the driver to read, write, or reply back to a message in the state of Texas.

Distracted driving is when the driver is no longer paying attention to the road. These distractions can include anything from texting to putting on makeup. Don’t be the person that gets pulled over for making a Snapchat video while driving.

Senior Elizabeth Watson said, “When I was 18 I was involved in a wreck caused by a driver that was texting. That was one of the scariest days of my life. I was rushed to the hospital to find out that I had messed up my hip and back. I still have to take the painkiller for both my hip and back, but my back hurts me the most.”

Watson also said, “No one should text and drive because it’s dangerous for you and the other driver that you may collide with. If you receive an important call while you are driving, please pull to the side of the road where it’s safe, and answer the phone.”

“I believe that people continue to text and drive because they don’t care,” said Watson.

Sophomore Shamira Boley said, “I received my Learner Driving License back in December around my birthday. I was very excited to be able to drive, but one day I was going to the Neighborhood Walmart with my mom when a driver ran the stop light and almost hit us. My mom and I looked at each other with fear then she asked me if I was okay. As I told her yes, we saw that the driver had run into a ditch, we pulled over and went to check on him. When we approached the car where we noticed that he was seriously injured. We asked him if he was okay and he immediately said ‘where is my phone I just had it.'” said Boley.

“I feel like people should make responsible decisions when they’re driving.” said Boley. “If you receive an emergency call you should pull over and answer, instead of answering while driving because you are risking your life as well as others.”

“You have to make responsible choices we you drive.” said Boley.