March for Our Lives- Houston

Millions of people against gun violence attended the March for Our Lives

Arly Duran, Reporter

Who would’ve thought that February 14th, would go so horribly so fast? I didn’t think that Valentine’s Day would be any different than it usually is every year. That day had been so normal until Twitter was blasted with the awful news of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Watching the news on Twitter, and reading all the tweets, I didn’t know how to feel.

I knew by then it was normal, it had only been a month and a half since 2018 had started but there had been 18 schools shootings already.  It didn’t stop me from sympathizing and feeling scared for those students. The shooting at Parkland had gotten so much media coverage than the other school shootings. This was different, and the students knew so as well.

The thing that drove surviving students was the millions of deaths by guns. The idea that an 18-year-old could buy a semi-automatic weapon used in war and use it on other children his age baffled many of the students.

The fact that many of these students lost their friends to a weapon of war which is sold legally by the age of 18, shocked many Americans. I knew that this shouldn’t have been a normal thing, that gun violence isn’t supposed to be normalized. I knew I shouldn’t have to sympathize for the people who have died from gun violence then go on with my life.

It devastated me because I didn’t want to live in fear that my school would be shot up next, or if I’d be shot walking down the streets. The goal the students and citizens are looking for is to change gun control and change the gun laws in America. The need for better gun laws is crucial and that’s what I stand for. I am passionate about making a change.

When the surviving students came together as a group and publicised their ideas on gun control and the March for Our Lives, I was all for it. It was something I knew deep down I had to do not only for myself but for every single innocent person who had died by a gun.

Throughout the weeks of February, I kept myself up to date with the news and the shooting. Many people were calling for change regarding gun laws and gun control. There were multiple debates between the NRA/ Politicians and people calling for change.

The day that the students called for the March for Our Lives, it was something I had to be a part of. On March 24 the March for Our Lives took places in many different cities in America.The biggest rally was in Washington D.C led by the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Although the closest was the march in downtown, Houston.

It was astounding, there were people of all ages. Everyone filled out Tranquility Park, from babies to elders. It felt even more amazing that everyone there were against gun violence and for gun control.  Many people spoke like the Mayor of Houston, Sylvester Turner. Turner was for the change of gun laws and even declared that he’d do whatever he could to change the gun laws here in Texas. It was a sense of reassurance and it empowered the crowd, we all felt the same. It was my first march, and to see so many people there with their signs was phenomenal.

Marching the streets of Houston was indescribable, everyone including myself participated in the chants. I will never forget March 24, it was the day I stood up for something that I was against. Not only did I stand up but so did millions of people all over the United States. It was important to me to speak out and march for my future and the future of all millennials.