Suicide/A Deadly Choice

You're not alone

Kassidy Thorn and Mia Lopez

Suicide is a word that is used way too often, it is when somebody takes their own life voluntarily. It is caused by mental illness, being bullied, being abused, and just feeling unwanted in general.When somebody reaches their breaking point some turn to drastic measures.

Sophomore Tanielle Johnson said, “People like to judge others by saying their ego is bigger than yours, it makes people have lower self-esteem and it puts them to a point where they think it would be better if they didn’t exist.”

The most common method to commit suicide is by using a firearm. A firearm is used in a small majority of all attempts, but guns are very lethal. Guns responsible for more than half of all suicide deaths. In 2012, about 20,000 people successfully used a firearm to commit suicide. Also, people hang themselves, about 10,000 people successfully took their own life by using this method. Males are more likely to commit suicide while females are more likely to attempt it. About 30,000 Americans in general commit suicide each year.

Is it possible to predict suicide, no it is not. Researchers identified individuals are at higher risk for suicide if they have had a mental illness, substance abuse, previous suicide attempts, family history of suicide, history of being sexually abused, and impulsive or aggressive tendencies.

Some ways to tell if someone is showing signs of suicide is talking about wanting to die or to kill their self, looking for a way to kill their self, talking about feeling hopeless or having no purpose, talking about feeling trapped or being in unbearable pain, talking about being a burden to others, and showing rage or talking about seeking revenge, and displaying extreme mood swings.

People who are aware of the hurtful risk factors and signs can help assume that someone may be at risk or trying to attempt suicide.If you think someone is considering suicide don’t be judgmental, talk to them about your concerns, get professional help, and do not leave the person alone. Sophomore Moyin Koleoso, said, “I would comfort and support them if they dealt with suicidal thoughts.” You are never alone fighting this battle if you ever need somebody to talk to call the suicide hotline. 1-800-784-2433