Young Leaders Take Charge

what is #neveragain?

Kirsten Hitchens and Alea Allen

Many shootings and gun incidents have occurred this year, yet the worst one by far was the Parkland shooting in Florida. The shooting affected a lot of the students, angering them because this all happened by the hands of their fellow student. Right after the catastrophic event, they wanted to put their foot down and make a stand to get their word across. The high school’s theatre, speech and journalism students decided to create and lead a movement that eventually everyone jumped on called Never Again.

The name “Never Again” was thought of by a teenager, Cameron Kasky. Never Again is a movement started by teens to end gun violence and make the gun laws more strict and secure. This movement is lead by two of the survivors from the Parkland shooting followed by their fellow classmates and people around the globe. The never again movement was to create a difference in the gun law making it stricter to protect the nation.

“How about we stop blaming the victims for something that was the shooters fault? The fault of the people who let him buy the gun in the first place.” Emma Gonzalez, a survivor, said in an interview online.

Some students may never think the same way about the good, secure school they once went to. Their minds are polluted with the negative impact that has happened in the school.

“No longer can I walk the halls I walked a million times before without fear and sadness,” said Florence Yared during an interview with USA Today.

Students and even other random people around the United States are talking about this topic, taking a stand, voicing their opinion, and supporting the surviving students. Defending their statements and making people start to change this law and make the gun law more strict.

“These AR-15’s, they’re weapons for war. Going to school, you’re not going to war, you’re trying to get an education.” Chris Grady, a student, and Never Again organizer said.

The Never Again organization is hoping for stricter background checks to the gun-buyers who would like to purchase guns. This movement won’t rest until something is done about this. When something is done, the teenage survivors will feel like they have done their job.

Even though the job will soon be done, the event, but most importantly, the Never Again movement and survivors, even the deaths will always be remembered. The Never Again movement will always be remembered worldwide, because of how large an impact it’s making in the United States, and even in the world since its started by teenagers such as ourselves.

Article in New Yorker