Not A Play Toy

Alexa Leija, Reporter

We live in a state where we are allowed to the “Right to bear arms.” We are allowed to the security and well regulated Militia, but does 2nd Amendment come with rules to protect teens and children?

According to www.txgunsense.org study shows about 1300 children die by a gun every year in the U.S, as well as approximately 19 children suffer guns wounds every day. Should handguns be banned to protect the safety of the children?

In the first 28 days of 2018, there have been 24 unintentional shootings towards kids and teens. With statistics and frequent news of gun accidents with children, not all have the same mindset.”I don’t think we should ban handguns because it would be pointless, many people own guns illegally and banning handguns won’t stop the deaths of children,” said Sophomore Ernesto Lopez.

Other people don’t think the same as Ernesto,”I believe the government should ban handguns, parents who own guns supposedly say “I’ll put it away safely.” NO matter where you hide it kids find the gun. With banning guns, you wouldn’t need protection because there wouldn’t be anyone with guns,” said Sophomore Betheny Murillo.

“Have you heard the saying, ‘Guns don’t kill people, people kill people,’ Sophomore Jazmin Najera said. ” The danger is not on the gun, the danger is the person behind the gun? The gun won’t do anything to you, and it is not a threat to you, the person handling it is a threat. Guns don’t shoot themselves if the government want to keep the children safe, maybe be wise on who they let someone purchase a gun. So, therefore, I believe they shouldn’t ban handguns.”

Teenagers understand the tragedy that’s going all over the U.S and want something done. “Just get rid of guns for those who arent authority officials, it’s not right, it’s not fair! How children die or get injured over guns that parents do not understand to put guns away. Innocent kids, not even reaching their teen years, their lives are over. They should ban guns because they can’t be around this kind of society, especially because of teenagers growing up with all this difficult environment and society,” said Senior Julio Torres.

‘Yes, ban handguns,’ ‘no ban handguns,’ either way, owning a gun should come with stricter laws. Intense background, check age availability, as well as going through a test to see if you’re eligible to own a gun.