Gun Violence and the Lax Response

The NRA and US Government Refuse to Take Meaningful Action Towards Gun Control

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Arly Duran and Alexander Cordova

Within the last half-decade, the United States has seen more death by guns than its armed forces has had in wars since Vietnam. Gun violence has had an absurd presence within the average American citizens’ life, and it’s getting worse.

As of February 15th, 2018 there have been 1,624 mass shootings since January in 2013 in the U.S, and nearly 48% out of 650 million Americans own a gun, as per the records held in the Gun Violence Archive. So, there is an immediate uncertainty within the presence of guns within almost half of the U.S. population, and murder by gun continuing to skyrocket. But what are we doing about it?

“We lose eight children and teenagers to gun violence every day. If a mysterious virus suddenly started killing eight of our children every day, America would mobilize teams of doctors and public health officials. We would move heaven and earth until we found a way to protect our children. But not with gun violence.” – Elizabeth Warren, A Fighting Chance

The NRA (National Rifle Association) and the United States government have a secure stand on guns and gun laws. The United States is the only country who has a variety of stringent and lenient gun laws. As such, the public often blames the NRA for being so lax when shootings and murder happen to skyrocket after another leniency is given.

“Funny how the NRA kill more Americans than Muslim terrorists do.” – Oliver Markus Malloy, Inside the Mind of an Introvert. “Why ban guns? Let’s give everyone rocket launchers! What could possibly go wrong?”

Leniency has been the cause for concern for years involving gun control or drugs, or even pollution. However, the NRA refuses to put any restrictions or bans on the guns used to murder children, families, companies, festivals, and more because of a sick leniency. The NRA and the government are able to address their condolences to victims of gun violence, but can’t come up with ways to control and tighten gun laws on assault weapons.

Guns are sold all over the world but the usage of such guns for crime is lower in those countries. In 1996, in Australia Martin Bryant unleashed open fire at a cafe and a gift shop. Bryant killed 35 people using a semi-automatic AR-15 weapon.

From there on the new Prime Minister banned semi-automatic and other military weapons all over the country (Fortune magazine). Since then there hadn’t been a mass shooting for 22 years. The only difference between Australia and the United States is population; the United States leads with 326,625,791 and Australia has 23,232,413 as of July of 2017.

Many people would go against the opposition by claiming that the United States has a larger population than other countries. Being the fact that the United States has a larger population than many other small countries, there are more deaths by guns in the United States than others. The US makes up about 5% of the world’s population and they lead with 90 mass shootings (31%) reported by 2016, a study by Adam Lankford.

Mass shootings are constantly being brought to light by the public, although there are not many ideas being expressed on resolving the problem. Countless people have expressed that guns aren’t the problem to events like the Sandy Hook shooting and the Stoneman Douglas High School mass shooting in Florida. They believe it is a mental health problem instead of the tool that they use to commit the crime. If guns aren’t the issue of problems like mass shootings then why are war weapons easily made to buy?

Gun owners are often unseen and unheard when it comes it the mere mention of control laws. The few that are present often stake claim to the 2nd Amendment, offering no explanation as to why they do, or how they believe it protects them.

To be the leading country with the most gun deaths is devastating. So many people having to die by a gun used for war, an assault weapon used in war, legal to buy at the age of 18. Millennials have taken a stand against such weapons and the ideology of “no gun reform.” What will it take to stop the deaths of millions of people?

The murders of elementary students at Sandy Hook didn’t change anything, and the murders of high school students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has yet changed anything. Albeit what has changed are the citizens of America; the times have changed and so have the people.

Americans aren’t taking no for an answer this time around; we as the people have a decision on how things should play out in our own country. Americans are taking a stand against assault weapons and the leniency on purchasing these weapons.

The facts speak for themselves; the gun deaths in America are greater than any other country. Ask yourself what has our government and the NRA done to stop or reduce those numbers.