Is it worth living in America?

Recent school shootings highlight the issue of fear in America.

Nhi Huynh, Reporter

There have been 28 gun-related school violence in the first two months of 2018 only. On average, there were just over 3 of them took place in a week. This is not acceptable with a developed country like the US.

Students are supposed to learn at school, not being shot. How can we learn in fear? We have to learn to do something for this country. But the problem is, adults don’t want us to do that. All they think about is the money from some “associations.” Why not do something to save these innocent people?

America has always had a problem with gun control. According to www.vox.com, America has way more gun deaths than other developed nations, and it has far more guns than any other country in the world. The US has nearly six times the gun homicide rate of Canada, more than seven times that of Sweden, and nearly 16 times that of Germany, according to United Nations data compiled by the Guardian. 

No one has the rights to take away somebody else’s life. Deaths by gun violence probably don’t give anybody a second chance to live, but deaths by homicide without guns do. Victims may not have lethal injuries and continue to live.

Imagine someone breaks into your house armed and you don’t have a gun. Houses are easy to break into, no matter what kind of security you might have. They attack you with their gun, so what can you do? Wait for the police to come? What if you’re unconscious? Because of the lack of gun control, this is totally possible. Anyone can be an armed burglar. That’s scary.

Why do we need to be at least 21 to drink alcohol but only 18 to purchase a gun legally? It makes no sense. That’s one of the issues lawmakers should think about. I don’t think guns should be banned completely, but automatic and semi-automatic ones. Why would a normal citizen need a military weapon, just for their safety? Is it really worth it?

Students voice is extremely important now. If you’re reading this, no matter how old you are, how you look, where you’re from, please stand and fight for better gun control. Each of us can make a difference if we do it together. This is not just an issue, it’s a disaster for all America. Guns do not kill people. People and lack of laws do. We have to stop them, otherwise, we and our loved one might be next victims.

source: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/21/17028930/gun-violence-us-statistics-charts