Is the Amendment being abused?

Should the second Amendment be abolished?

Ambroja Ferguson and Aaliyah Ealy

With the sudden rise in school shootings, homicides by gunfire, and mass shootings, citizens are worried that the 2nd amendment is allowing for sociopaths to harm innocent civilians. However, a majority of Americans believe that the bill is perfectly fine and the shootings have to do with mentally ill people. So the question is…should the 2nd Amendment be abolished? For this article, we shall share our different opinions on why it should, or shouldn’t, be removed.

For starters, the 2nd amendment is one of America’s most prominent acts. This bill allows individuals the right to own, and handle guns. Since Americans value weapons in distinction to the lives of others, more people have refused to recognize the increasing amount of mass shootings that led to the occurrence of dangerous psychopaths killing innocent bystanders. This is all due to the 2nd amendment allowing deranged people to “bare guns.” Frankly, not everyone should have the right to do so.

“Mental illness” has been labeled as the major role in these mass shootings, when in actuality, that’s not the case. People who were deemed as “mentally unstable” were actually sane and murdered those people because they found enjoyment in the suffering of others. Many inhabitants, just like those who caused mass shootings, have at least, or more than, 7 guns stored away in their homes. Why would anyone, whose sole priority is to defend themselves, need that many guns? A Lot of this plays a part under the 2nd amendment because the act is allowing them to cause mayhem.

Is the right to bare a gun worth the livelihood of others? I don’t think it is. For the sake of the people, the 2nd amendment needs to be replaced. Of course, the amendment is history, but it plays a part in these mass shootings by giving the right for these people to walk around with assault rifles and machine guns.

While people may believe that these reasonings should automatically prove that the 2nd Amendment needs to be abolished, it is a necessary asset in our society, and also our American right to keep the 2nd Amendment.

The Amendment states, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” If we terminate an old-time establishment, we are essentially getting rid of a significant factor in the “American Dream”.

The American dream is “the idea that every US citizen should have an equal opportunity to achieve success and prosperity through hard work, determination, and initiative.” The word “initiative” is defined as “the opportunity to take charge before others do.” If we allow the government to take away our guns, we are forfeiting a part of what technically makes us Americans.

Additionally, guns save lives; even if we don’t want to admit it. Around 2014, in St. Louis, Missouri at 11 pm, a mother and father shot two armed robbers, who were using their 17-year-old daughter, as a human shield. The young lady had gone to her car in search of something when suddenly the two men approached her, pulled their guns, and tried to force her inside her home. The parents witnessed the incident and instantly picked up their guns and shot them; killing one of the assaulters and critically injuring the other.

Although one person lost their lives in the process, the parents had a right to protect their child. If it wasn’t for them baring a gun their daughter could’ve been killed, or even worse, the entire family would’ve been slaughtered. So can we really argue that outlawing guns is the acceptable outcome?

If we completely prohibit guns, how will we protect ourselves from fugitives? The black market would thrive with customers that would be willing to use the newly-terminated policy against rule-abiding citizens. Enabling us to be taken advantage of.

While writing this article, we’ve come to the agreement that the solution to both of these issues isn’t to get rid of the 2nd Amendment, nor leave it the same. (The 2nd Amendment is flawed, yet so is the idea that we have to delete it all together.) We believe that a good compromise is to revise the bill for a modernized era. The act was ratified in 1791–obviously, their beliefs, mannerisms, and aptitudes will be severely different from what ours are. We can make the bill better, we all just have to unite and come up with the resolution.