It’s Time For Rodeo Houston!

Cheyenne Whisenant, Reporter

If you live in Texas (Houston, specifically) and haven’t been to The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR / Rodeo Houston), you haven’t lived.

Founded in 1931, Rodeo Houston is the largest livestock exhibition and rodeo in the world and has been apart of Houston and Texas for generations. HLSR was moved in 2003 to NRG stadium after the closure of the Astrodome but still holds so much culture in the span of 20 days.

In 1999 the Harris County Commissioners Court approved the construction of a new exhibition facility on the north side of the Astrodome, Harris County began construction of new parking lots on the west side of Kirby Drive, and Houston becomes the home of the new NFL franchise, and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo moves forward with Houston NFL Holdings and Harris County to build a new football/rodeo stadium.

The Rodeo starts on February 27, 2018 and goes on until March 18, 2018 and it kicks off near city hall with the Downtown Rodeo Roundup. the Downtown Rodeo Parade and the ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run- a 10K and 5K walk and run, as well as the World’s Championship BBQ Contest.

This year our FFA is participating in several events at HLSR, including the cattle show, the Ag Mechanics show and the Livestock Judging contest.

“My favorite thing about the contest that I get to participate in is the Livestock Judging Contest because it helps to better my skills in the career I want to purse.” Says Terra Louviere, a member of the FFA.

The FFA is not the only thing that you can do at Rodeo Houston. There’s Championship Rodeo action, concerts, carnival, pig racing, BBQ and the Rodeo Uncorked International Wine Competition, shopping sales, a rodeo art contest and livestock auctions.

“My favorite part about the rodeo is the barrel racing.” says Victoria Cisneros, 11 grade.

This year we have several big music artists coming to Houston to perform at Rodeo Houston. Some of the artists that we are going to have this time at the rodeo include country legend Garth Brooks (who is opening and closing the show), Leon Bridges, One Republic and more. Over the years, there have been many musical performers at the show, with everyone from Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan to Garth Brooks and George Strait. This tradition began in 1942, when “The Singing Cowboy” Gene Autry debuted as the first star entertainer at the show.

With so much to do you wonder where to even start, but you definitely should start somewhere, the Rodeo is one of the best things to do in Houston. But don’t just take it from me, ask everyone at The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.