A Foreigner’s Opinion about Public Shootings in America

Public shooting is a big problem to the US nowadays.

Source: ABC11

Source: ABC11

Nhi Huynh, Reporter

A man’s car was shot several times when he was driving on November 30th, 2017. It was my first time to witness a public shooting. Since then, I have had some attention for shootings that killed people.

This year there were a lot of huge shootings in America. From the mass shooting in Las Vegas that left 58 people dead and 546 injured to the church shooting near San Antonio, Texas killing 26 people including an unborn baby. This year has been a tough year for America. According to CNN, there were 90 public mass shootings in the United States from 1966 to 2012. The 90 US mass shootings are nearly one-third of the 292 such attacks globally for that period only. That’s something we must be worried about. The most common reason for these mass shootings is family issues.

“They (the shooters) probably have some kind of mental illness, they cannot control what they are doing, and it’s probably because of their stupid reasons,” said junior Briana Gunn.

Not only me but many people feel unsafe and anxious about shootings these days as well. They can attack us anytime, no matter where we are. It is hard to say. Until this moment, the government has not done anything to prevent mass shootings. People are worried about this.

“Well, actually more people died from doctor negligence, but to prevent more public shootings, national reciprocity and the allowance of people to exercise their second amendment rights to carry guns in public, if they have a permittance. That will make it easier for people to prevent shootings, or they can stop shootings before the police can get in,” said Mr. Barnett, an art teacher, who was in the military earlier.

It is not comfortable to witness a shooting in your area. Nor hear of it. Nobody wants their area to be so dangerous like that. According to Forbes, the US has 35,000 firearm deaths each year. That’s a big number.

“Most of the time, I don’t know, I get angry at those shooters who shot innocent people. They didn’t even do anything to them. Sometimes, the shooters didn’t even shoot the ones they want to, but just random people. That makes no sense to me, to be honest,” said junior Robert Barrett.

In my view, public shooting isn’t a thing should happen every day.  Every time I turn on the news, I see a shooting had occurred. I’m getting used to this, but I do not like this kind of crime. These criminals shouldn’t be forgiven, in any case.

“The guns are not dangerous, only the people who hold them are,” said Doc Watson, a NJROTC instructor.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “A Foreigner’s Opinion about Public Shootings in America”

1. Kim on December 30th, 2017 1:55 pm

I totally agree with your idea. Guns were actually invented to protect humans from danger but it seems like they’re more of killers nowadays. I also believe that in order to reduce ( or prevent) public shooting, outer actions are not enough. It’s crucial that the shooters are changed from the inside, right from their thoughts that shooting brings them no good but making the situation even worse. Though doing so is not easy and may take a great deal of time and effort , I think it’s worth a try then.

[Reply]

Nhi Huynh Reply:

Thank you, I really appreciate your opinion.

[Reply]

• A Foreigner’s Opinion about Public Shootings in America

Opinion

The Don’ts Of K-pop

Opinion

The Last Day

Opinion

Trust Broken, Forgiveness Given

Opinion

High School Experience

Opinion

Everthing Changes

Opinion

Will it get to me?

News

What happened to the Iowa Family?

Features

March for Our Lives- Houston

Features

Suicide/A Deadly Choice

Opinion

Is it worth living in America?