A mashup of choirs, everybody come and join the celebration!

The Choir Tradition: Rhapsody.

Ambroja Ferguson, Reporter

“Silent Night”, “Fall on your knees”, and “What child”. All of these songs, along with many other Christmas classics, are meshed together to create a beautiful composition that will leave you breathless, yet captivated, at the melodious sound.

At Spring High School, the choral family has set a tradition, dating back to the 20th century, where all the choirs join together to perform a mashup called: Rhapsody. To many choir students, it is a masterpiece that means deeply to the culture of their school.

Junior Arietta Coccimiglio explained why Rhapsody is important to the choral family. “Rhapsody is a special tradition that dates back to before I was born,” said Coccimiglio. “If the directors were to take it away, I would be devastated because it is a long-standing tradition that I am honored to have the pleasure of being involved in.”

The directors put an abundance of time and passion into the Rhapsody piece. After school rehearsals and class time is mandatory for the success of this creation–it affects the performance to the extent that you could be dismissed from the recital entirely if you miss an after-school practice session.

While some students may complain about the amount of time spent on Rhapsody, Sophomore Brittany Gutierrez approves of the extra practice.

“I think rehearsals are absolutely necessary for the success of the performance,” said Gutierrez. “Choir is all about teamwork; each member is important to the sound of their section–therefore everyone should have to stay. Even if you already know the song it is still important to attend rehearsal because there is always something to improve yourself in.”

After the rehearsals are finished, performance day creeps around the corner. All the choirs perform their individual pieces. Then, the finale occurs. All the choirs join together for their last performance of the semester. For the seniors, Rhapsody has been a crucial part of their life. Chorale member, and Senior, Johana Garcia gave her statement about how Rhapsody her choir experience.

“Rhapsody is a song that has forever been the heart of our choir Christmas concert. As a senior I appreciate it more this year because it feels like the last time I’ll sing it,” said Garcia. As Garcia gave her opinion, she also expressed the following.

“However alumni’s  get to come back to perform it along with the amazing, ever-growing choir. Every time the choirs’ practice Rhapsody it lights up the room; not many songs do that. It just goes to show how loving this choir can be–even through our difficult times. This song always has me in tears.”