Who Is BTS?

Discover a new music genre and group. You never know. You might like it!

Alea Allen, Reporter

방탄소년단.

Bangtan Sonyeondan, or Bulletproof Boyscouts, is a music group from South Korea which consists of seven members. Kim Taehyung (V), Jeon Jungkook (Jungkook), Min Yoongi (Suga), Kim Seok Jin (Jin), Park Jimin (Jimin), Kim Namjoon (RM), and Jung Hoseok (J-hope). This group has been around for four years, debuting on June 13, 2013, with their song “No More Dream”. Most fans first discovered them on YouTube, other internet sites, or their K-pop loving friends.

“When I first saw them I was confused because it was my first time I ever heard something like that,” sophomore Tamia Hammond said.

This group has been performing for A.R.M.Y (A.R.M.Y is their fandom name. Just like Justin Bieber has Beliebers and Fifth Harmony has Harmonizers.) all around the world. Most recently, performing one of their latest songs, “DNA” at the American Music Awards, winning Artist of the Year two times in a row at the Mnet Asian Music Awards, winning “Top Social Artist” at the Billboard Awards, performing their song “Mic Drop” at The Ellen Degeneres Show, and The Jimmy Kimmel Show. Each member has been warming and capturing the hearts of many.

“My bias (favorite member) is Namjoon because he is smart, and he is handsome,” freshman Kaitlynn Elamparl said.

BTS has been in America a bunch of times and plans on doing a tour and visiting America again next year. A.R.M.Y has a true dedication to these seven men and look up to them, making them smile when they are sad or just listening to the music to make them feel good. BTS has fully dedicated themselves to A.R.M.Y, as well. They stay up long hours writing songs and practicing choreography perfectly and precisely for the fans.

“We practice 12 hours a day,” one of the rappers in the group J-hope said.

The group has been through a lot of hate as well. People have told them that they weren’t going to be anything in life, battling through starving and fasting themselves to be at the perfect weight to be a Korean Pop Idol, and even death threats. One member, Suga (rapper), even thought about leaving the group. But Jimin (vocalist) talked him into staying with them. It’s amazing how they started off from a small group from BigHit Entertainment that no one knew of, to be an international sensation across the globe. Performing for everyone, and being loved by the fans at the same time.

“BTS is like my family,” freshman  Jazmyn Deblaw said.

BTS has been like friends and family to the A.R.M.Y, even though some of them never met the group in person. The group is not like those stuck up, arrogant people. They love and care for their fans and their fans love and care about them too, even though other people may not. They always have appreciated their fans and always tell them to love themselves before they love someone else.

“Remember what we say. Love myself. Love yourself,” leader and rapper of the group RM said as a part of his thank you speech at the Billboard Awards.