Anxiety In High School

Have you ever wondered what anxiety feels like?

Kassidy Thorn, Reporter

As you enter the doors into high school you notice you immediately feel anxious. Your heart begins to race, your body starts to sweat, and you just feel scared.

Sometimes it can get worse just by the thought of speaking to a stranger, being caught in a big crowd, and the smallest things.

Anxiety can affect people in many ways physically and mentally.┬áSophomore Lauren Stone said, “You are scared for no reason and anxiety just takes over sometimes to the point you can not focus.” It is like your brain completely shuts down because of fear.

Your brain makes it seem like you have no control over the situation and sometimes you really do not. It takes a while to compose anxiety. But the best effective treatment is therapy.

There are many types of anxiety; the five main types are Social Anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Generalized Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Panic Disorder.

Panic Disorder can occur when you get completely overwhelmed. It causes you to have a panic attack. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is mainly caused by flashbacks of past events. Social anxiety often is caused speaking to people you are not comfortable talking to. Generalized Anxiety can be all or some of these combined.

Effects of anxiety include self-doubt, self-consciousness, muscle tension, sleep problems, and randomized fear. People with anxiety can tend to find things hard to let go and they can communicate but you just have to listen to them.

It can make you feel alone and trapped in your thoughts. But you’re not alone! Anxiety is the most common mental illness in the United States. About 18% of the U.S. population suffers from it and about 20% of all teens experienced it at least once in their lifetime. “Do not believe every worried thought you have, worried thoughts are inaccurate,” said certified life coach Renee Jain.

Do not let your anxiety get the best of you, give it your all in every difficult situation. “Anxiety happens when you think you have to figure out everything all at once. Breathe, you are strong, you got this,” said Karen Salmaniohn.