Theatre Takes the Stage

Spring High School Theatre Company amazes audience with their performance of "In The Heights".

Jada Dawson, Reporter

Have you ever wondered how much effort and hard work goes into putting on a musical? Spring High School Theatre has recently put on a show called “In The Heights”.  

It was a very vigorous process to be able to get the show ready in time to perform. A major setback was due to Hurricane Harvey. Harvey caused a loss of two weeks of rehearsal time for theatre. Two weeks may not seem like that big of a deal but they needed as much time as they could get. “The biggest struggle was definitely the condensed time frame,” said Mrs.Butler, Theatre teacher/Musical Director.

Since the two weeks were lost, the actors had a shorter amount of time to learn all the dance moves, singing, dialogue, and stage blocking. Not only was this a challenge for the actors, but the technical crew had major jobs to be done too.

The Tech Crew had to put together all of the actors’ wardrobe two weeks before the opening show. The light and sound cues had to be put together and sync in with the actors on stage. And one of the most important things was the set had to be built in time. The set was from the floor to ceiling and spanned across the entire stage. The set really cuts it close because it was finished on the opening night of the musical.

Mrs.Butler said, “The ability of the cast to come together as an ensemble was a major achievement.”

The way everyone got along, and the cooperation among the actors and the crew helped pull the show together and made it such a fun and exciting experience.