To Richey Academy and Back

McKenzie Harris, Reporter

Everyone knows that if you get in a fight at school you get sent to Richey Academy as the discipline. Nobody wants to go to Richey, but why? For starters, it’s an alternative school, you don’t get the same privileges as you would at your regular high school. They do things way differently there and it’s not so pleasant. A high school student will only be sent to Richey if they are breaking rules that are not tolerated at their regular home school.

Making this transfer can be hard on the student and their parents. I experienced this in my sophomore year when I was caught in possession of marijuana. I didn’t realize how bad it could be for my family. I had to buy khakis pants and white collared shirts plus figure out how I was going to get to and from school because Richey Academy doesn’t have transportation like a normal high school. My mom, a single mother, was very stressed to make these new changes because of my irrational decision.

I’m not the only one who experienced difficulties in this process. A fellow student, Alicia McCray, said, “ My mom was upset when she got the news because she had plans that had to be put off so she could be able to take me to Richey and pick me up.” She also stated that her mom didn’t want her to go to an alternative school because the curriculum isn’t as good and she wanted her daughter to get the best education. Which her mom is right, the curriculum isn’t the same as any regular high school. For instance, Richey Academy doesn’t even have Spanish which is a required credit you have to get to be able to pass high school.

Not only is it hard for the student, it’s also hard on an AP here at Spring High School, Hannibal Trent. Mr. Trent says that it’s never easy to send a student to Richey Academy and he always feels “ like a father figure to all of the students at the high school.” You never really hear too much about the kids that get sent to Richey they kinda just disappear.

“The number of students sent to Richey Academy usually ranges between 20 to 30 students per year.”, said Mr.Trent. This may not seem like a lot compared to the number of students in Spring High, but at Richey Academy, it’s a lot because they are a very small school with low staff. Richey Academy is split into two; the middle school side and the high school side. So just imagine what it’s like with that many kids in a small alternative school like that.

Not everything about Richey Academy is bad. My experience wasn’t all that terrible, I learned new things from some of the teachers there. They don’t treat the kids any differently and they give recognition to the students accomplishments by giving them food of their choice and a certificate saying their accomplishment. My first day there I was told by a teacher, Mr. Frazier, “ We don’t treat any kid like they’re a bad kid here. We treat them like a person that has made a mistake and is trying to correct it.”