Boys varsity basketball ready to DOMINATE

The varsity basketball team is excited about this upcoming season

Kiera Green, Sports Reporter

The SHS boys varsity basketball team roared back into action this year with an outstanding win against Oak Ridge last night the score was 88-57.

Junior Torreon Bergeron is confident about this upcoming season. “We are going to get after it, go undefeated and make it to state.” Torreon, who started playing basketball at the age of five, jersey’s number is 20 because there was a basketball player named Gary Payton, he was a defensive player and Torreon is big on defense. “What makes basketball memorable for me is that it comes with a lot of memories, traveling to different places, playing on big stages and in arenas,” said Torreon. This season Torreon is looking forward winning district and going to state. “Basketball taught me how to communicate better and learn how to treat people on and off the court.”

Coach Cody Glass, the boy’s varsity basketball coach said “I hope when my players graduate that they know they have become apart of a family and something bigger than just a basketball team, but also apart of a fraternity of guys that have come through.We really promote a program and the things that come after high school, we give away scholarships, we have guys that have graduated in 1990 that still come back to donate money, give jobs to guys that play basketball”.The boy’s basketball practice doesn’t start until 4 pm so from 2:30 to 4:00, they have time to get tutorials and tutoring so their grades should not be an issue.

Junior Christyon Eugene is number five on the SHS varsity basketball team. Christyon was player of the game on Tuesday, November 14, 2017, with 22 points, 10 assists, and 10 rebounds. His goal for this season is to make it to the playoffs, also likes the competition. Some life skills that Christyon has learned from basketball is being a team player. His pre-game rituals are handshakes and prayer.