Terror in Syria

Gabriel Sanchez, Staff Writer

More stories from Gabriel Sanchez

Chemical attack leads to U.S. involvement and threats of war

A nightmarish week has struck the Syrian town of Khan Sheikhoun after a chemical air strike conducted by the Syrian regime has caused countless deaths and sparked international involvement including U.S. missile strikes.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017:

Syrian regime, under control of Bashar al-Assad, strikes rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun killing 85 civilians and injuring hundreds more by use of chemical bombs containing deadly nerve agents.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017:

Syrian regime bombs hospitals in area of original chemical strike.

Thursday, April 6, 2017:

U.S. launches 59 tomahawk cruise missiles on Syrian air base (Shayrat) as a warning in response to Syrian attack, killing six people and destroying 20 Syrian airplanes. Trump ordered strikes without consent of congress.

Friday, April 7, 2017:

Russia calls U.S. strike an “act of aggression,” as well as Assad condemning the U.S. action as a “disgraceful act.” Russia is being investigated in their involvement in Syrian attacks on Tuesday.

Saturday, April 8, 2017:

Syrian town of Khan Sheikhoun is struck again by missiles killing 3 people however it is not yet clear who conducted the strike. The Syrian air base that was struck by U.S. missiles on Thursday, reopened less than 24 hours after attack leading Assad’s regime to be in question of strikes again.

According to CNN.com, the U.S. congress was in agreement with President Trump’s decision to strike Syrian air base although it is expected that Trump obtain congressional approval before initiating war.

The Pentagon is continuing to investigate Russian involvement in Syrian attacks.

Trump’s decision to “send a message” has endured much conflict with different weighing opinions that call to question Trump’s policies of Syrian refugees. As Trump has originally sought to put in place a ban on Syrian refugees but is now sending missile strikes in response to the Syrian government attacks. Also, in 2013 President Trump encouraged former president Barack Obama through twitter to “stay out of the Syrian civil war.”

The U.S. must be careful though as the Syrian and Russian governments are allied, with Russian officials in the area of the conducted missile strikes. If seen as an act of war, as Russia has considered, the attacks may spark the beginning of a possible world war.

To keep up with the events unfolding in Syria and how U.S. involvement impacts political relations worldwide, click here.

-Gabriel Sanchez, Staff Writer