Getting Ready To Take Flight

SHS Seniors on the next step

Mikekel Robinson

As the season of high school graduation begins it’s time to honor our class of 2017.  There are a lot of emotions and uncertainties about what the future may bring. The seniors this year are on the verge of making the biggest decisions of their lives, and for many students and parents, it will feel as if this moment came faster than expected.

Senior Zach Alvear feels humble about being the class Valedictorian. He says he “doesn’t feel all that different.” Striving for high grades makes Alvear want to make a difference. He says he “wants to do something great.” So far hehas been accepted into Rice University; he wants to pursue his career in engineering. Motivating our future seniors Zach Alvear says, “keep doing your best and don’t keep using things as an excuse to do bad, you can always do better, and you can always push yourself.”

Former ROTC Senior Jala Jones desires to major in nursing and become a ER nurse. Jones says she “recommends nobody to mess around” while in school. She says she “noticed people mess around and now they’re not graduating.” Being in choir and ROTC, Jones says it’s “tough” but, with any luck she will  attend Prairie View A&M University and continue to take on any challenges coming her way.

Future Cosmetologist Gracie Torres wishes to attend the CHI Lone Star College to continue what she loves doing best, hair, nails and makeup. Gracie wants to further her education so that she can remain knowledgeable about latest styles and techniques. However, in order for Gracie to do that she says she must “keep her grades up and never give up.”

Senior Football Athletes Davon Blakes and Deonta Adams both have scholarships. Mr. Davon Blakes has a scholarship to Navarro University while Mr. Deonta Adams has a scholarship to Texas A&M University. Both have played football since about the age of four.

DB Safety (Defensive Back) Davon Blakes enjoys the contact and aggressiveness on the football field he when D had passed the ball to Deonta Adams.  Blakes later wants to attend Grambling University in Louisiana and later with confidence compete in the NFL League.

Wide Receiver Deonta Adams wants to go out and get his degree in architecture.   “At first I was playing football just to get into college but then I felt in love with it,” Deonta says. “It’s kinda like a passion now.” “Playing against Davis” Deonta said was “one of the best memories yet.”

So as the dates get closer and closer, just remember after the caps are thrown in the air and the ceremony is behind you, don’t be afraid to stand out. Be patient, stay passionate. and keep in mind we’re all in this together.

1 Comment

One Response to “Getting Ready To Take Flight”

1. Kennetra ellis on April 26th, 2017 4:46 pm

So proud of these young men they worked so hard and deserve the best in life, keep up the great work!!

[Reply]

• Getting Ready To Take Flight

Opinion

A Different Kind of Special

• Getting Ready To Take Flight

A&E

Gorillaz comeback

• Getting Ready To Take Flight

Features

Communication over violence

• Getting Ready To Take Flight

Showcase

Humbling Start

• Getting Ready To Take Flight

A&E

HOSA to Internationals

• Getting Ready To Take Flight

News

Controversial Muslim Ban

• Getting Ready To Take Flight

Showcase

The Greatest Comeback in Super Bowl History

• Getting Ready To Take Flight

Features

Growing Pains

• Getting Ready To Take Flight

News

White House Website “Under Construction”

• Getting Ready To Take Flight

News

Science Nerds Unite!

Getting Ready To Take Flight