Short Lived Hopes for a State Championship

Gabriel Sanchez, Staff Writer

More stories from Gabriel Sanchez

Terror in Syria
April 10, 2017

Spring High School Lady Lions ended their with a heartbreaking loss in the first round of playoffs.

With their most dominant season in previous years, the Spring High School Lady Lions varsity soccer team ended their season with a tough loss in the first round of playoffs to Klein Collins High School.

“Everybody actually played as a team,” said senior forward Guadalupe Mandajone. “We were very positive and confident about our game, and we know what we have to do to keep playing how we have been and try again next year.”

Confidence has been a major factor in each of the Lady Lions’ wins, dominating almost every district opponent they had faced.

“Our toughest opponent this season was definitely been Aldine Davis,” said Mandajone. “That was our first loss and they scored in the last ten seconds of the game to beat us.”

The Lady Lions focused one game at a time and topped off their successful season with a district championship. Their overall record this year is compliments of hard work everyday on the practice field, and a stronger team chemistry than they’ve had in previous seasons. They would not be satisfied with only a district championship title however, as they had bigger goals for a deep playoff run.

“I think we’ll do really good in playoffs compared to previous years,” said senior defender Zahria Thomas before their first round playoff game against Klein Collins. “We’ll make it to the third round or even deeper, especially if we take how we’ve been playing during the regular season into the playoffs.”

After a tough hard fought game however, the Lady Lions’ outstanding season came to an unexpected end, as they fell to the Klein Collins Lady Tigers in the last few minutes of the game.

The Lady Lions had many positives throughout the season and can contribute much of their success to the play of one of their star players, senior forward Alessandra Rivera.

“Alessandra has definitely had the biggest impact in our games this year,” said Mandajone. Thomas agreed, adding “She has been playing amazing this whole season.”

Rivera was not only leading the Lady Lions in goals scored, but she was second in the district in leading scorers. Rivera had a first team all district season.

The Lady Lions had an incredible record setting season for Spring High School. Their success this year will only be a building block, and can provide hopes for a possible legacy of playoff appearances for the Lady Lions in years to come.

-Gabriel Sanchez, Sports Editor