He Will Not Divide Us

a+tweet+
a tweet

a tweet

I screenshot it. but I twittet

I screenshot it. but I twittet

a tweet

Kiara Ward, Staff Writer

As you may have heard, Multi-talented artist and activist Shia LaBeouf is a part of an interactive art installation in which people can pass by and deliver the words “HE WILL NOT DIVIDE US” into a camera mounted on a wall and repeat them as many times, and for as long as they wish. According to thecampaignbook.com, one of the main websites for the campaign “the mantra “HE WILL NOT DIVIDE US” acts as a show of resistance or insistence, opposition or optimism, guided by the spirit of each individual participant and the community.” The project is known to be an anti-trump protest due to not only the turn of events of him being elected president but also his campaign’s message.

The participatory performance first began at 9 am on January 20th the day of the presidential inauguration.the participatory performance is and will be live-streamed continuously for the next four years or the duration of the presidency at www.hewillnotdivide.us. It is open to all, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The first location, the Museum of The Moving Image, in New York city was shut down due to the installation becoming a “flashpoint for violence” on February 10, 2017.The referred to violence resulted in many arrests, one which was of Mr. LaBeouf. According to the dailymail.co.uk “LaBeouf was arrested on January 25 after a physical altercation with a protester”.  On the live footage from the installation, a man was shown holding up a sign that said ‘Pepe 2020’ which resulted in LaBeouf attempting to punch him in the face. He obviously takes this seriously and did not take the joke lightly.He is now facing a misdemeanor assault charge and is due in court on April fourth. 

The Museum of The Moving Image officially released a statement in a press release defending their decision. They explained that “the installation had become a flashpoint for violence and was disrupted from its original intent”. They then went on to say “Over the course of the installation, there have been dozens of threats of violence and numerous arrests, such that police felt compelled to be stationed outside the installation 24 hours a day, seven days a week”. In addition, according to theverge.com, the museum said that “the installation created a serious and ongoing public safety hazard”. The point of the installation was to bring people together in harmony not attract violence.

Since then, On February 18, 2017, the project relocated to a wall outside the El Rey Theater in Albuquerque, New Mexico and has also been shut down due to reports of violence in the area.  LaBeouf went on twitter explaining that “[they] have taken the stream down after shots were reported in the area,” He then continued to say, “The safety of everybody participating in our project is paramount”

For more information and or updates about the installation go to http://thecampaignbook.com/ or https://twitter.com/thecampaignbook?lang=en