Communication over violence

Grace Fashanu, A&E Editor

School fights aren’t just a disruption in the school environment but they also encourage violence. More specifically in Spring High School, girl to girl conflicts are the highest amount compared to boy to boy.

“The majority of the fights that we have on campus are 9th graders and 10th graders,” Says assistant principal Hannibal Trent, “The girl fights are usually the messiest because they have a lot of tentacles.” Girl fights usually have layers to their conflict, so it may be harder for administrators to deal with them.

Due to the frequent use of social media, teens are more inclined to say harsh things over the internet.

“I think social media has a lot to do with it. A lot of conflicts that we have on this campus start on social media,” Says Principal Carter, “At the root of every conflict is usually miscommunication.”

Sometimes, the student body plays a large part in school fights. The problems may be exacerbated by other students instigating conflicts.

“Anytime you have violence, unfortunately, people run to it.” Says Principal Carter, “When I was in high school we didn’t have social media, so now if there’s a fight it’s everywhere.”

However, Spring High plans to be proactive about conflicts. Instead of allowing the problems to get out of hand, Spring takes more preventative measures.

“I try to get on the intercom every couple of days saying if you have conflict with somebody come and find an adult and talk to them,” says Principal Carter. “If we’re not approachable and you don’t feel like you can come to us and tell us your issues… you’re not going to.”

Principal Carter always encourages students to talk to an administrator and talk out their problems like adults. This promotes maturity in the place of violence while allowing students an outlet for their frustrations with one another.