The Greatest Comeback in Super Bowl History

Gabriel Sanchez, Staff Writer

More stories from Gabriel Sanchez

Terror in Syria
April 10, 2017

Impossible is an irrelevant word for Tom Brady

Super Bowl LI MVP Tom Brady (#12)

Super Bowl LI MVP Tom Brady (#12)

There is no bigger stage in the world of sports besides the Super Bowl, and Tom Brady and the New England Patriots made Super Bowl 51 in Houston, Texas, arguably the best game of all time.

The game started off with a strong force from Matt Ryan and the NFL’s best offense Atlanta Falcons, moving the ball downfield aggressively. Their counterpart in the NFL’s best defense of the New England Patriots however, held the Falcons to no points in the first quarter.

The Patriots’ defensive specialties broke down in the second quarter however, with a 5 yard touchdown run by running back Devonta Freeman, and a 19 yard touchdown pass from Matt Ryan to tight end Austin Hooper.

The Falcons’ defense provided some extra support, not allowing the Patriots to move the ball downfield at all. The defense was not just stopping the New England offense, they were getting to quarterback Tom Brady. Atlanta’s defensive tackle, Grady Jarrett, had three sacks, and along with the four man defensive line of the Falcons, forced Brady to make several bad decisions and miss big opportunities.

With the Patriots offense kept silent, an interception by Falcons’ corner Robert Alford returned for an 89 yard Atlanta touchdown, seemed to seal the deal for an Atlanta win.

The Patriots were sent back to the locker room with a poor performance from their superstar quarterback, Tom Brady, and looking defeated, trailing the Atlanta Falcons 21-3 at the half.

“I thought it was over for the Patriots,” said senior David Huff, who has been a lifelong Patriots fan. “I was upset after that first half, but there is a reason why Brady is the best quarterback to ever live. Watching him throughout his career, I knew he was about to do something special.”

Not only did Brady do something special, he achieved what was considered impossible.

The roles seemed to change in the second half. Even though the Falcons came out with a quick touchdown pass from Matt Ryan to running back Tevin Coleman, they could not get a drive going, and their defense was beginning to fall apart.

With the odds stacked against them, here came Tom Brady and the Patriots.

The first half woes seemed almost nonexistent after a 5 yard touchdown run by New England running back James White, then a 6 yard touchdown pass from Tom Brady to wide receiver Danny Amendola, two more touchdown runs by James White, and a Stephen Gostkowski field goal, the Patriots had tied the game.

The Falcons had no answer for the incredible offensive surge of the Patriots, led by quarterback Tom Brady. This forced a tied game, 28-28, to go into the first ever overtime play in Super Bowl history.

“Whoever won the coin toss in overtime was going to win the game,” said junior Angel San Juan. “When the Patriots won the toss, I knew it was over.”

It did not take long for the Patriots to move down the field to the one yard line and hand the ball off to James White for the overtime touchdown. The Patriots became the Super Bowl 51 champions, beating the Atlanta Falcons 34-28. Beating the odds to pull off the biggest come from behind win in Super Bowl history.

“It was crazy, I couldn’t believe what I was watching,” said senior Ashley Barreda. “To be honest, I don’t know how they changed their attitudes around. Usually when a team is that far behind it’s over, but then Tom Brady picked the team up and Julian Edelman made that insane catch and the rest was history.”

The rest was history. Tom Brady was named MVP, claiming his fifth Super Bowl victory in his career and proving that not only is he the best quarterback in the NFL, but he claimed his title of the best quarterback to ever live.

To watch the Super Bowl 51 highlights, click here.

-Gabriel Sanchez