Crime Springs Up

Brayden White, Technical Editor

More stories from Brayden White

Is the Violence too much?

Crime has been has been a very active problem in Spring,  and it has been alarming for many. “It’s shocking,”  Spring High Campus officer Christmas said. “10 years ago, Spring was a safe, comfortable place to live in with cheap homes and now crime is such a common thing.”

As citizens of Spring, Texas we worry for the sake of our small town and hope to not get caught up in illegal actions. January 24, Ana Weed was murdered after a fatal argument with her neighbor, Hector Arturo Campos. After hearing the gunshot, another civilian detained the murderer at gunpoint until authorities arrived.

We can obviously see that violence is really getting out of hand locally. According to homefacts.com, in 2015 crime was about 89.88% lower than national average, today crime is highly over. Crime statistics from Areavibes.com says that violence in 2017 in Spring are 38% higher than national average.

More or less on the bright side, Spring is said to be safer than 19% of cities in the United States. It may not be too safe with the uprising of violence but it does have it’s advantages.

It may be uncomfortable to know that any crime can happen almost instantly but there are ways to keep yourself from becoming a victim. “Don’t be a victim,” campus officer Jacks said “There’s this thing called the crime triangle. The three sides of it are criminal, victim, and opportunity. If you remove one side of it, it won’t happen. Anything from leaving a phone unguarded, plugged into a wall or sticking out of your pocket it doesn’t take too much to take it when no one is stopping them. The victim is just as responsible as the criminal.”

Crime is a very common thing especially in school. “Just the first day of school I arrested 2 students during a drug deal for possession of marijuana in the school bathroom.” Officer Jacks stated.

Crime maybe a large field that can affect any of us. We all keep high hopes to not get caught up in any trouble.