London Terror

Brayden White, Technical Editor

More stories from Brayden White

Trumps 100 days
May 8, 2017

5 dead in brutal 82 second attack

A terrorist attack unfolded in London, UK on March 22, 2017. The terrorist attack in London began on Westminster Bridge, and continued into Parliament Square and the grounds of the Palace of Westminster. The start of it all began with a 52-year-old Briton by the name of Khalid Masood.

Khalid Masood drove a car into some innocent bystanders along the south side of of Westminster Bridge and Bridge street injuring over 50 people and killing 3. He then abandoned the car and ran into New Palace Yard where he stabbed and killed an unarmed police officer. Khalid was then shot by an armed police officer and despite the attempts to resuscitate him, he died.

The attack was nicknamed “82 seconds-of-hell,” due to the attack lasting only 82 seconds and causing so much damage.

The car Khalid Masood drove was rented from Enterprise Rent-A-Car in Spring Hill, Birmingham a week prior to the incident and was driven at 40 miles per hour through the innocent pedestrians.

After the attack, Prime Minister Theresa May was evacuated from the Commons into 10 Downing Street in the UK. Additional armed police officers arrived on the scene as did an air ambulance also known as Life Flight.

Five people, including the attacker, died on the scene. Around 50 others were injured with some being severe. Out of the four killed by the perpetrator, 3 of them were British Nationals.

One of the victims, Aysha Frade, was a teacher walking across the bridge to pick up her children from school when she was struck by the car and killed.

The killed police officer was PC Keith Palmer, a 48-year-old unarmed police officer who was working under Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection command

United States tourist, Kurt Cochran, was celebrating his 25-year-anniversary with his wife, Melissa in London. Both walking across the bridge, Kurt was struck and killed by Masood while Kurt’s wife, Melissa, was injured.

The fourth victim, Leslie Roads, was a 75-year-old man who was hit and died in the hospital after life support was switched off.

Few injuries were severe as most of them were only treated as minor.