Humbling Start

A rough start for the Spring Lions baseball team sparks turnaround for district play

Gabriel Sanchez, Sports Editor

Confident and cocky were two ways to describe the Spring Lions varsity baseball team at the start of their season, but after an unexpected start of only 2-15, the Lions had to reevaluate how they were playing and make adjustments before district play.

“Nothing is fun about losing,” said senior third baseman Angel Arredondo. “We went into every game thinking we were the best and going to dominate every team but we kept making simple mistakes that would cost us the game.”

The Lions consistently found themselves on the losing side. No matter if they had a lead at any point in the game or not, a costly error or missed opportunity would take place and ultimately cost the Lions the game.

“The toughest part is over with now,” said senior pitcher Cameron Reid. “After the tournaments, we know we can’t take anyone lightly anymore and we have to keep working hard everyday to try for a deep playoff run.”

With the district changing from the 2016 season, the Lions are in a much less competitive district now than in previous years. However, through their season so far it has showed that any team can be beat on any day.

“We played a lot of good teams and some teams that weren’t that good at all,” said senior outfielder Anthony Ramirez. “We knew what we were doing wrong and we knew it wasn’t time to panic yet. Just watch, we’re going to take the district title this year.”

The Lions are off to an undefeated start through the first round of district play, outscoring opponents 59-3, and are seeing a dramatic difference of how they play each game. The early woes at the start of the season seem nonexistent, and the Lions are continuing to look to dominate the district as the season goes on.

To keep up with the Lions’ schedule and scores, click here.

-Gabriel Sanchez, Sports Editor