Youtube restricted mode blocks LGBTQ+ videos

Grace Fashanu, A&E Editor

Over the past weekend, YouTube has come under fire for their restricted mode. Many viewers just now realizing that YouTube under the restriction mode a lot of channels have been filtered. The major flack came when viewers were noticing that a lot of LGBTQ+ videos were censored under restriction mode.

Granted, it is incredibly easy to turn on and off restricted mode in settings, but many argue that this sort of censorship is detrimental. Under restriction mode, a whole channel’s content can be filtered including videos discussing sexuality, only showing certain types of videos.

According to YouTube, Restricted Mode, introduced in December 2015 is a feature designed to “use community flagging, age-restrictions, and other signals to identify and filter out potentially inappropriate content.”

A large YouTube personality and transgender woman, Gigi Gorgeous spoke out about this issue through a YouTube video saying, “YouTube  has always been a place where you can find someone just like you.”

“I feel like it is discrimination,” says junior, Christian Rosales, “ the ones who need those videos the most are the young kids who are struggling with their sexuality.”

Following this outlash, YouTube released a statement on their twitter. “We are so proud to represent the LGBTQ+ voices on our platform– they’re a key part of what YouTube is all about. The intention of Restricted Mode is to filter out mature content for the tiny subset of users… LGBTQ+ videos are available in Restricted Mode, but videos that discuss more sensitive issues may not be.”

Contrary to the outrage, many LGBTQ+ members don’t really mind the restriction.

“Personally it doesn’t really bother me because I’m not sensitive about things like that as other people,” says senior Alex Garcia.”Other members in the community might take offense to it because they want that information for others.”

Although YouTube released this statement as a form of explanation, many of the audiences did not agree, @bookishcheryl tweeting back “okay what are ‘sensitive issues’ considered? Especially in regards to LGBTQ+”

The argument is, “how is LGBTQ+ subject videos considered mature content?”

In reply to the negative reaction following their statement, YouTube released another statement saying, “Some videos have been incorrectly labeled and that’s not right. We’re on it! More to come.”

In general YouTube Restricted Mode is a flawed system that often blocks the wrong content, whether or not the blocking of LGBTQ+ content was intentional or not, the public uproar was YouTube’s push to reform their system.