Controversial Muslim Ban

Alyiana Vasquez, Staff Writer

More stories from Alyiana Vasquez

Constitutional or Unconstitutional

Getty Images

Getty Images

Donald Trump’s Executive order on January 27, 2017 to ban refugees has been put on halt and now faces a federal appeals court hearing or remain on hold.

An executive order is a rule or order issued by the president to an executive branch of the government and having the force of law.

The White House press secretary Sean Spicer says Trump administration is not rethinking its strategy over the president’s ban on refugees and travelers from seven predominantly Muslim countries entering the United States on February 6, 2017.

The 9th US circuit court appeals in San Francisco announced late Monday it will hold a hearing at 6pm et Tuesday on Trumps January 27 order, which suspends the United States refugee program for 120 days and bans travel from seven majority Muslim countries for at least 90 days.

The appeals court is only deciding whether to uphold a temporary restraining order issued by a Seattle judge, while a separate series of court hearings will decide later whether Trumps order is legal.

Trump’s order remains on hold three days after U.S. district judge James Robart ordered the Department Of State and Homeland Security to stop enforcing the ban. That prompted a weekend rush from foreigners who held valid visas to fly into the United States; the government estimates 60,000 to 100,000 visas were canceled while the ban was in effect.  

The seven predominantly Muslim countries that withheld the ban include Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Yemen and imposed as a indefinite ban for Syrians citing national security grounds.

Donald Trump said his goal was to improve background checks to make sure terrorists are not admitted inadvertently. The order which went into immediate effect sparked anger and confusion across the nation.

Dozens of incoming travelers were held up at US airports and many more were halted from boarding flights bound for the United States. Protests erupted at airports and city halls nationwide.

The court appeal verdict is yet to be determined, thankfully this ban could possibly reunite families traveling in and out of the country.