White House Website “Under Construction”

Alyiana Vasquez, Staff Writer

More stories from Alyiana Vasquez

whats next in the white house

As soon as Donald J. Trump was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States, the official White House website was updated with his portrait and his policies, which include changes from what the site had during the previous administration.

The first change noted was the elimination of climate change which was replaced with Trumps “America’s First Energy Plan.” This plan rolls back regulations: “Our need for energy must go hand-in-hand with responsible stewardship of the environment. Protecting clean air and clean water , conserving our natural habitats, and preserving our natural reserves and resources will remain a high priority.” The plan also says President Trump will tap domestic energy sources.

Like Trumps energy plan his foreign-policy on the WhiteHouse.gov is labeled “America First.” The page promises a “foreign policy focused on American Interests and American National Security.” That includes building more ships for the Navy while embracing diplomacy.

Students and staff at Spring High School were asked how they felt and if they were aware of what was happening on the website. CTE Teacher Cedric McLaughlin said,”The best thing to do is to not worry about it if it is not affecting you right now.”

Junior Jay’lyne Pickney said,”I heard about it, but I didn’t think much of it.”

Senior Cheyenne Iozzio said,”I saw it on social media and we talked about it in class so I knew about it but I figured it was going to happen since Trump never really favored Obama.”

A Law Enforcement page has been added that discusses the growing disrespect for police officers, violent crime and keeping our communities safe. This page also talks about the second amendment rights and illegal immigration.

The Spanish language content has been deleted also, now when users try to access www.whitehouse.gov/espanol all they get is a message saying, “sorry the page you’re looking for cannot be found.” The blog that discusses issues related to the Hispanic Community has also been removed from the site. The links leading to former pages describing civil rights and LGBT are also “not found” pages.

The White House has also shut down its public comment line, which was once staffed by volunteers taking calls from citizens. It is now  instead directing users to contact the White House or Trump through Facebook messenger. It has been pointed out that those things have not been set up yet.

It is not unusual for the new president to change things on the website; George W. Bush and Barack Obama adjusted the website when they were sworn in to fit their policies. Only time will tell what other changes president Donald Trump will make to the White House website.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/transitionsplash/

http://www.voanews.com/a/donald-trump-presidential-transition-white-house-website/3685884.html

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/1/23/headlines/white_house_website_erases_climate_change_civil_rights_pages